Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Welcome to Cartagena!!

Hola amigos!!!
Well, I have arrived here in Cartagena, Colombia. It has been a great first 2 days here. I got in to my apartment at about 1 in the morning on tuesday (or monday night, depending on how you look at it). Tuesday we got to check out the area and scout out some good places to play basketball and do some camps. Then at night we had practice with the professional team. Today has been a little more chill....i was able to sleep in and then kind of check out the area. Speaking of "the area", let me tell you about it...
My apartment is on the 7th floor of an apartment building overlooking the Caribbean. I know, really tough, right? I can walk over to the beach (where the water is like bath-tub warm...almost not even refreshing from the 100-degree weather). I am in downtown Cartagena in a very ritzy part of town, because it is really the only safe place for us "gringos" to live. The rest of the city is very poor and dangerous. Today we are helping out a local highschool basketball coach with practice. We will be working out his players. Tomorrow, we are headed to an extremely poor area and doing basketball camps, as a way to begin to build relationships w/ these kids. I'm really excited to continue to get to know people and spend more time w/ James (who is awesome, by the way).
Anyway, that's about all for now! Thanks again for your prayers. Love you all.

3 comments:

  1. jumping in with so much already! you rock. praying for tomorrow & who you will meet at those camps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother B,
    Grateful you are safe and adjusting. I am amazed at how God chooses to use us. He takes our everything and allows us to be a part of HIS plan. I am thrilled that you are using your gifts and know that you will be amazed. My advice, although it appears that it is a bit of a moot point: keep a good journal, you will be able to look back and say,"Oh, now I see what He was doing!" Praying for you, and just so you know I'm in unchartered water since I've never blogged before! Love you brother remember to be the Ambassador He has prepared you to be.
    SDG,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete